Saturday, March 26, 2011

It's not what you've lost, but it's what you find: Ellie Goulding Webster Hall 2011

I saw Ellie Goulding perform at Webster Hall this past thursday. One of the greatest nights of the year so far. In case you didn't know (you probably already know if you are an avid reader of this blog) I am a huge fan of Ellie's music. I had been preparing for that night the first time I heard "Starry Eyed"..which actually wasn't the first Ellie song I've ever heard..it was "This Love (will be your downfall)" a cover by Kate McGill who I absolutely loved at the time and still do. From there I came to discover "Fighter Plane", which was full of dreamy lyrics and sounds along with "The Writer" with it's lustful imagery. I was in love..haha. Her voice is so beautiful and she is so full of talent.

The show opened with The Knocks..who I wasn't too fond of..they got the crowd moving a bit, which was great..but their songs were extremely similar with the same pounding bass and techno feel along with redundant lyrics. I give them credit..but let's admit it..we weren't there for them..we were there for Ellie.

And when she came on stage and opened with "Under the Sheets" it was just pure greatness. She played the entire US album including Elton John's "Your Song". The only thing that was disappointing was she didn't cover some of my favorites like "Fighter Plane" and "I'll Hold My Breath" which was on the UK album. I also would have loved to hear a few more of her covers but I was pretty much craving way more Ellie than the show was going to entail...haha.

The show overall was great, she had some sick drum solos and acoustic pieces and the crowd was tolerable and upbeat. I plan on seeing her perform an acoustic show on monday night, which I expect to be equally as wonderful.

These next few photos I actually borrowed from Erica (www.electrocutieblog.com) who I saw the show with. My camera was really shitty unfortunately.



Erica and I



Ellie, looking saintly






Her shirt was really cool. It looked like gloves were holding her boobs..for lack of a better description...ahah.



Getting "Lights" signed by the lovely EJG herself!



This is a shitty video I got of the beginning of "Your Song". The sound quality is okay though.




This one is "Your Biggest Mistake"



"This Love"

No comments:

Post a Comment