Thursday, October 1, 2009

An uncommon tree in the forest

About 5 months ago, for five months, I lived in Ireland. I went to school at the University College Cork, and to say the least it was one of the most liberating and wonderful experiences I've had. It's funny, because my decision to study there was a bit impulsive. I hadn't really had any special desire to go to Ireland in particular. I wasn't Irish, I didn't know much about the culture, and I think I was just looking for a quick escape from the life I was living at the moment. But I filled out the paperwork, got accepted to the school, and soon enough I was on the plane to Cork.
Almost every day, on my walk into the city, I would pass this gorgeous park right by the river Lee. It had a lovely pond in the center, colorful gardens, a playground, and plenty of places to sit and ponder. One part that I found particularly fascinating was this giant tree covered in tiny square-cut mirror pieces. It was interesting how it was randomly placed in the park, with no explanation. I'm sure it was just a piece of local artwork or something..but to see something so whimsical and out of the ordinary was lovely:


If you'd like to see some of the pictures I took from my adventures in Ireland, you should check out: http://itsallsmilesintheemeraldisle.shutterfly.com/1145

No comments:

Post a Comment